Jim Gutschow Retires as CFO / Bill Evans Named Successor
Thanks, Jim, for 39 fruitful years of service to our company and our team!
After 39 years with John A. Marshall Co., Chief Financial Officer, Jim Gutschow, officially retired on Wednesday, April 27, 2022.
Kansas City employees honored Jim with a farewell barbecue luncheon on Monday, April 25th, where they presented him with a personalized gift from all of the divisions, and shared memories from his time with the Company. Here are a few interesting facts from Jim’s stroll down memory lane:
- Jim started doing the audit for John A. Marshall Co. as an independent CPA, working for Fox and Company, in January of 1980.
- He became the Controller on December 13, 1983 and was the 19th employee on the company’s payroll at the time. We now have more than 140 full-time equivalent employees working for us.
- Jim became the CFO on January 1st, 1985.
- When Jim started, he had one child. He now has 3 kids and 8 grandchildren!
- Our 9,000 square foot showroom was located at 110 W. 9th Street in Kansas City, MO, and we had a 10,000 square-foot warehouse on Front Street. Today, we have locations in 5 cities in Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma, and 176,000 square feet of office/ warehouse space.
- The Company didn’t realize $5 million in annual sales until 1985; since then, we have exceeded $100 million on several occasions.
- There was no computer system when Jim started; all accounting was done manually. Can you say old school?
- The Company started using the CRC DBOS (Dealer Business Operating System) in 1984 and went live on its current DBOS, GUPS (Gutschow User Performance System) on January 1, 2014.
While Jim has relinquished his role as CFO, he will remain a Board Member and Treasurer, reviewing Company financials, preparing tax returns, and attending UMB, MAC, and Pareto Board meetings on the Company’s behalf.
“I have been blessed to work with Jim for all of my 35 years here at John A. Marshall Co.,” said President, Mark Sneed. “Our working relationship, along with our friendship, is something that I truly cherish. Respect, admiration, and loyalty are words that come to mind when I reflect on our years together. There is no one that has had more of a positive impact on this organization than Jim. He will be missed by all, especially by me.”
“Jim is not a typical CFO. His impact on John A. Marshall Co. goes far beyond the balance sheet. I’ve always admired Jim’s infinitely positive attitude and his steady approach to managing people and situations. After all he’s given to this company, his retirement is well earned, and we’ll miss his presence in the office,” said Partner, Stephen Marshall.
Bill Evans was named to the role of Chief Financial Officer, effective May 1, 2022. He joined the Company as Controller on September 3, 2019, and played an integral role as part of the Company’s executive team during this time.
Prior to John A. Marshall Co., Bill spent six years with PwC (formerly PricewaterhouseCoopers), where he performed financial statement audits. He also spent ten years working for several banks within the Kansas City area as Corporate Controller, running the accounting department, and two years with a FinTech company as CFO.
“I’m excited to join the executive management team at John A. Marshall Co.,” said Bill. “The level of success the Company has experienced over the last 40+ years is a testament to the wisdom and dedication of its prior and present leaders. I want to keep alive the tradition of building towards the future to ensure we always provide the highest quality of service for our customers and a great place to work for our employees who proudly embody the John A Marshall Co. mindset.”
He earned his Master of Accounting Degree from the University of Iowa.